Book Reviews now accepted through The Book Escape E-zine. Please contact Jennifer at: thebookescapemag@gmail.com with your blurb, release date, author name, and publisher. Thank you!

Thursday, July 16, 2015

An Interview with Jessica Lauryn...


Title: Dangerous Magic
Release date: March 2015
Author: Jessica Lauryn
Genre: Romantic Suspense

Blurb:  Corinne Johnson's world was shattered years ago, when a strange discovery in her husband's briefcase led to her becoming separated from her children. Now, engaged to re-marry the man responsible, Corinne is determined to always be in Ethan and Mattie's lives, even if it means being in a marriage without passion. But when she has a mysterious dream in which she kisses her once coworker Jack Madera, Corinne's plans of securing her future quickly go up in smoke. Jack, the sexy and mysterious Wiccan she knew years ago, is back in North Conway. And in the midst of everything else, Corinne begins to suspect the most erotic dream of her life was never a dream at all.
After recently coming to a fork in the road, Jack Madera decides the only way he can move forward with his life is if he learns the identity of his biological father. But when his search takes him to North Conway, the town in which his old coworker Corinne Johnson lives, Jack realizes his visit may not be as short-lived as he'd hoped. Drawn to the woman he has always shared a deep connection with, Jack puts his non-existent heart on the line. He casts a spell which takes him and Corinne down a path they never saw coming.

Buy link: *** 99 Cents at Amazon: http://amazon.com/dp/B00VF1FLYS


Questions:
1.      How long have you been an author?
            I've been writing for the last ten years but officially became a published author in 2011.  I had been writing in some form or another since childhood but didn't actually decide to put pen to paper until after I'd graduated from college and had given some serious thought what I would consider to be my dream.  A natural-born storyteller and a hopeless romantic, I realized that I needed to combine my passions and my doing so has been the best decision I've ever made. 

2.      What is your favourite genre?
            I enjoy reading all subgenres of romance but my favorite to write in is romantic suspense.  I love the plot twists and the constant threat of danger in a suspense novel, which can bring a reluctant hero and heroine together and force them to face an attraction they might otherwise never have acknowledged.  Many of these stories are set in the present day and I love to see contemporary romances unfold, proving that love, passion and romance are still burning as strongly as ever in our world today.

3.      If someone hasn't read any of your work, what book would you recommend they start with and why?
            Dangerous Secret is book # 1 of my debut romantic suspense series, The Pinnacles of Power.  Though these stories were not published in order and need not be read sequentially to be enjoyed, I would recommend that readers begin with DS as it tells the story of underground operation Project Gemstone and how it affects the lives of 5 would-be couples from the very beginning.  I have reread the series myself starting with DS and I enjoy seeing how all of the stories connect with one another, building in suspense and intensity a little bit more with each romantic tale.

4.      What is the biggest surprise you’ve discovered about the writing process?
            Everyone says that when writing a romance the author needs to fall in love with her hero in order to make her readers do the same.  I had always believed this to be true but I was skeptical to think that I could continue to fall time and time again, especially after crafting the first few stories I'd wanted to write, the ones containing heroes I'd dreamed about for years and considered to be the cream of my crop.  As I wrote on, I was surprised to discover that I was more than capable of falling for newly-created heroes and that putting myself in the heroine's shoes and falling for her man each time was essentially something that I had no trouble doing at all.  As a matter of face it just seems to keep getting better!

5.      Can you tell us about one of your current works in progress?
            I'm currently working on a second 5-book romantic suspense series, set in and around a majestic theater in upstate New York.  Two rival families battle for control in this competitive artistic industry and 5 unlikely couples are drawn together in the midst of the drama and the heat, causing them to create quite a bit of heat of their own.  I believe that all fans of romance, particularly those who enjoyed the Phantom of the Opera will really enjoy this fast-paced, romantic suspense series.   

6.      Name one thing readers would be surprised to know about you.
            I drafted my first romance novel never having read a romance.  (Yes, you are reading that correctly!)  Crazily enough I believed I knew enough about romance and had a strong enough love for the phenomenon that I could write on my own without an example.  I quickly saw the error of my ways and having read hundreds of romances since then I am forever grateful for deciding to take the plunge in reading stories of the greatest genre I've ever known.

7.      Name your top three writing goals?
            1. To author as many great stories as I can in my lifetime.
            2. To show that romance is (and most certainly should be!) burning as hotly as ever in the present day.
            3. To inspire readers to create their own fantasies in the hopes that they will bring romance into, and always have, love and romance in their lives.

Fun Questions -
1.      If you had a warning label, what would it say?
            "Caution, Writer at Work!"  I do not write all day, every day, by any means but I do try to write at least a few hours every day.  If I don't get some time to decompress and let my fantasies unwind I never feel quite as good about any given day, vacation time being the rare exception.    

2.      If you had the chance to meet one of your characters privately, who would it be and what would you do?
            My favorite character to date would is the hero of my second story, Dangerous Proposal, Dr. Alec Westwood.  Alec is suave, seductive and funny to the point that I still laugh out loud when I go back and reread pieces of his dialogue.  If I could meet Alec, I'd love it if we could kayak together as he does with heroine Lena Benson when he is trying to gather information about her agenda.  And if we should decide to stop for a rest and wind up making out for a bit, I'd definitely be ok with that ;)

3.      What is the naughtiest thing you’ve ever done?
            I once jumped into an unmarked lake which did not prohibit swimming.  Fortunately there weren't any sort of dangerous sea creatures around to share in the experience!  I guess that I had seen my characters do this enough times that I wanted to try it for myself.  I don't recommend it, not unless you do not have any sort of aversion to feeling a tremendous amount of seaweed at your feet.

4.      Finally, can you give us your contact links?

            Website: www.jessicalauryn.com

           
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/JessicaLauryn_



            Authorgraph: https://www.authorgraph.com/authors/JessicaLauryn_


Excerpt from Dangerous Magic:

“Hello, Corinne,” Jack said in a deep, drawl voice. “It’s been a long time.”
Seven years to be exact. But standing beside Jack Madera, her once coworker and friend, Corinne felt as though she’d stepped back in time and into a dream. Come to think of it, all of it felt like a dream, particularly since she didn’t seem to be in control of her movements. But if she was dreaming, why did the fire’s flames feel so hot? And why was her pulse racing like the ticking of a clock?
Jack, whose face was sprinkled with dark facial hair that was only slightly thinner than the hair on his head, bore down on her. He smelled of incense and musk, a sweet and alluring mixture which, combined with the scent of the woods around them, was distinctly male. So lost in a mix of confusion and desire, Corinne didn’t even realize that this large fingers had closed over hers. Jack squeezed her hand and his smile widened as he lifted it, bringing it against his mouth. He kissed her palm, sending a powerful rush of need along her skin.
Corinne swallowed as she attempted to slip her hand free. But she was powerless to remove it, and it remained encased in Jack’s.
“How did I…”
Jack smiled and leaned in close, bringing his mouth against her ear. “Get here?” he whispered. “I might have helped you out a bit. But you simply did as your desires dictated.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best wishes,
~Jennifer Labelle~

2 comments:

  1. A lovely interview thank you.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it, Mary! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Labelle Books has put comments on moderation due to some recent SPAM.

Please be patient and keep the comments coming. Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to check in frequently. We've got giveaways on a weekly basis and tons of great talent to share.