Book Reviews now accepted through The Book Escape E-zine. Please contact Jennifer at: thebookescapemag@gmail.com with your blurb, release date, author name, and publisher. Thank you!

Thursday, April 9, 2015

An Interview with Renee N. Meland...


Title: The Extraction List  
Release date: April 7th, 2015
Author: Renee N. Meland
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Blurb: When fifteen-year-old Riley Crane finds out her best friend Olivia is being abused at home, she knows just who to turn to…
Her mother Claire, writer and spokesperson for President Gray's Parental Morality Law. Under this law, Task Force Officers remove children from their homes if their parents do not meet certain guidelines, taking them to government-run boarding schools.

Once they arrive, supervisors rehabilitate them, turning them into productive members of society. Or at least that was how it was supposed to work...

Now, after a government official threatens to make Riley the law's latest victim, Riley and Claire must rely on Cain Foley, a gifted killer with a tongue as sharp as the knives he carries, to get them out of America alive.

Though he slices through men's necks as if they are warm butter, Riley can't seem to keep her cheeks from flushing every time he speaks. But when they stumble upon a deserted boarding school, Riley sees that escaping the country is only part of their problem.

Together, Riley and Cain figure out that a killer can save a life,
and a mother can damn a nation.


Questions:

1.      How long have you been an author? I remember writing stories since about first grade. I was lucky to go to an elementary school that encouraged it in some really fun ways, like letting us bind our stories into little books with cardboard and wallpaper squares. I think I still have them.
2.      What is your favourite genre? Science fiction is probably my favourite because it has so many varieties and so many possibilities. There’s usually an element of truth about the world around us in the fantasy as well which to me makes it even more interesting.
3.      If someone hasn't read any of your work, what book would you recommend they start with and why? I am really proud of The Extraction List Book One, and I think it is a really good example of my style: fast-paced. If you want to pause and look at the flowers for a while, my style may not be for you.
4.      What is the biggest surprise you’ve discovered about the writing process? The biggest surprise is how much it takes over my mind. I’m thinking about stories constantly, whether it’s one I’m working on, or if something in everyday life gives me an idea. The urge to tell stories never quite leaves you alone.
5.      Can you tell us about one of your current works in progress? I am currently working on the third instalment of The Extraction List Series, which will be out in June. It was probably one of the most challenging things I have done as of yet. There are romantic elements to it that I haven’t tackled before, and I’m excited to see the final product.
6.      Name one thing readers would be surprised to know about you. Hmmm….good question. Maybe that I’ve seen the band Disturbed perform five times? People probably wouldn’t guess that about me.
7.      Name your top three writing goals? A) Always be getting better, B) Always be trying something new, and C) Always challenge myself.

Fun Questions -

1.      If you had a warning label, what would it say? Ha! Love this question. Hmmm…. Warning: Cranky when overheated.
2.      If you had the chance to meet one of your characters privately, who would it be and what would you do? Cain Foley all the way. He’s the co-main character in The Extraction List Series. I would really love to just sit and talk with him, and let him tell me more about his crazy life.
3.      What is the naughtiest thing you’ve ever done? I’ll never tell haha. J
4.      Finally, can you give us your contact links?

Twitter @reneenmeland


Facebook:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best wishes,
~Jennifer Labelle~

2 comments:

Labelle Books has put comments on moderation due to some recent SPAM.

Please be patient and keep the comments coming. Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to check in frequently. We've got giveaways on a weekly basis and tons of great talent to share.