Book Reviews now accepted through The Book Escape E-zine. Please contact Jennifer at: thebookescapemag@gmail.com with your blurb, release date, author name, and publisher. Thank you!

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Check out the Amazing Desiree Holt, and her Newest Release, Finding Julia...



 

Not many people now this but I actually started out to write a mystery. Maybe one with slight romantic elements but a mystery nevertheless.  I even had a title—Murder at Mass— and a plot: someone on the Board of Trustees at a small Catholic college murders the chairman of the board while he is alone at afternoon mass, in a small chapel on the campus. It would be a roman a clef—a novel about real life overlaid with fiction. I spent the past ten years of my working life on the executive staff at a small Catholic college so of course all the characters in the book were fictional representations of people I worked with. My staff had a wonderful time helping me plot this, embroider the habits of he characters, figure out the twists and turns.
By the time I retired and my late husband and I moved to Texas, I had a notebook full of outlines, plot points and characters sketches. I was in business, right?
Wrong!
When I finally, three years later, sat down to write, my muse was not only missing, but kidnapped and locked in a dungeon. It took me many laborious days to write three chapters. And rewrite. And rewrite. And rewrite. After three months I was at a complete standstill. Brain freeze. And really, really, really depressed. Where was the writing career I envisioned if I couldn’t even finish one stupid book.
Sigh!
All of this was before ebooks and ereaders, so I, an avid and compulsive reader, belonged to numerous book club. From Doubleday I ordered a book that caught my attention—Cry No More by the in credible Linda Howard. Not only di I then become a Linda Howard addict but I also, when I finished the book, said to myself, Self? This is what you should be writing. Romantic suspense.
I had never even heard the term before. I felt as if I had fallen into an alternate universe. Romance and suspense combined in a story. Okay! I could do that.
I fell in love with Diaz, the hero in Cry No More. The first manuscript I completed (which I sat down to start the very next day) was written in an effort to create my own Diaz—a hero who was emotionally distant but who could step outside his own boundaries to help a woman who truly needed him. The book was titled Run For Your Life, and I thought it was a surefire bestseller.
Not!
It took me five years to sell that book. In the interim I joined a writers group, a critique group (and may I say an essential if you want to be a published author) and wrote other manuscripts. The title was changed and the story received a lot of massage.  But I didn’t just sit around waiting for an acceptance. Nope, not me. I dove right into the next story. And the next one. And the next.
Well, you all know what’s happened since then. I have been blessed with more success than I ever expected to achieve, the most wonderful readers in the world, and yet another career in my life. For me the culmination is the imminent release of Finding Julia, out from Kensington Publishing September 29. And it’s now available for preorder. If you go to the link below, you will find the links to all platforms and formats from Amazon to Kobo.
I hope you will love this book because it is a story from the heart, one it took me a long time to write but one that really represents who I am.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Referred to by USA Today as the Nora Roberts of erotic romance, Desiree Holt is the world’s oldest living published erotic romance author. A graduate of the University of Michigan with double majors in English and HIstory, her earlier careers include agent and manager in the music industry, public television, associate vice president of university advancement, public relations, and economic development.
She is three times a finalist for an EPIC E-Book Award (and a winner in 2014), a nominee for a Romantic Times Reviewers Choice Award, winner of the first 5 Heart Sweetheart of the Year Award at The Romance Studio as well as twice a CAPA Award winner for best BDSM book of the year, and winner of the Holt Medallion for Excellence in Romance Literature.
She has been featured on CBS Sunday Morning and in The Village Voice, The Daily Beast, USA Today, The (London) Daily Mail, The New Delhi Times, The Huffington Post and numerous other national and international publications. She is also the Authors After Dark 2014 Author of the Year.
“Desiree Holt is the most amazing erotica author of our time and each story is more fulfilling then the last.” (Romance Junkies)

Learn more about her and read her novels here:
www.facebook.com/desireeholtauthor
Twitter @desireeholt
Pinterest: desiree02holt
Also on LinkedIn and Google+

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FINDING JULIA EXCERPT:

“Our executive vice president is tied up in a meeting right now,” Howard whispered as the executive staff filed in. “He’s the one who says yea or nay. He’ll join us as soon as he can.”
Great. Would he expect her to do it all over again for him?
She sighed and began her presentation again.
It was well into the afternoon and she was pulling out copies of the proposed budget to distribute when the door to the boardroom opened quietly, and Julia’s stomach dropped to the floor. She felt as if an electric surge slammed into her, plucking at every one of her nerve endings.
The man who silently took a seat at the end of the table wasn’t necessarily handsome, but he was one hundred percent male. Liquid brown eyes were framed by the thickest lashes she had ever seen on a man. She noticed the strong jaw and the lines of character etched on an incredibly masculine face. Straight brown hair, a hint of silver reflecting in the lights, was worn just a little long, giving him a slightly rakehell look.
The classic dark business suit barely concealed the power he radiated. More than that, he exuded an aura of self, of authority, of comfort in his own skin few men were able to attain. She could think of only three words to describe him. Dark. Edgy. Dangerous. In her entire thirty years, no man had ever affected her the way this man did. Certainly not Charles. She clamped down on her reaction, forbidding herself to let her thoughts wander into forbidden territory. As she’d learned, her judgment where men were concerned left a great deal to be desired.
“Let me interrupt a moment.” Manning jumped to his feet. “Julia, meet Lucas Buchanan, our executive vice president. He’s been in another meeting until now.”
“I’m pleased you could join us, Mr. Buchanan.” Julia pasted on her professional smile and hoped her voice sounded firmer to the others than it did to her.
Lucas Buchanan nodded at her. “Luke, please. Sorry to be late. Please don’t let me interrupt.”
She struggled to pick up the threads of what she’d been saying, her brain suddenly addled, and her hands unsteady. It took every ounce of personal discipline to keep focused on her presentation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's a great pleasure to have the very talented, Desiree Holt with us today. I'm a big fan, and this book sounds like yet another amazing read so please enjoy.
Thank you, Desiree for sharing with us. It's great to learn more about you.

Best wishes,
~Author Jennifer Labelle~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labelle Books has put comments on moderation due to some recent SPAM.

Please be patient and keep the comments coming. Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to check in frequently. We've got giveaways on a weekly basis and tons of great talent to share.