Book Reviews now accepted through The Book Escape E-zine. Please contact Jennifer at: thebookescapemag@gmail.com with your blurb, release date, author name, and publisher. Thank you!

Monday, November 21, 2011

Who wants a $15 Secret Cravings Publishing Gift Certificate? Welcome Layla Hunter!

It's my pleasure to introduce the wonderful Layla Hunter to Labelle Books. Layla is a fellow Secret Cravings Publishing author who has decided to answer our interview questions, tempt us with an awesome excerpt, and has graciously offered to give up a $15 gift certificate to Secret Cravings Publishing to one lucky commenter. So, let's show her some much earned love shall we for a chance to win.

Comment, follow the blog, and leave us your email address. That's it, and you'll be entered to win it!

Welcome Layla, how long have you been an author?
Layla: I’ve been a writer for as long as I can remember … at least thirty years. If we are speaking technically, I’ve been an ‘author’ (*laughs* the word still makes my stomach flutter) since my first short story was published at Every Night Erotica on July 16, 2010!
I’ve wanted to be a writer as far back as I can remember! My Nanns slipped me a few True Romance comic books and a romance novel when I was about eleven, and it may sound corny, but it was love at first sight. I wanted to read everything I could get my hands on and after a couple of years, I wanted to write stories that would make others feel the way the books I read made me feel.
I can’t remember a time when I didn’t think about writing. I swear I must have been a writer of some sort in another life! *laughs* Truth is, I really don’t have a choice … I find I HAVE to write or the characters in my head will keep me up at night. They are relentless about wanting their stories told.
About 15 years ago, I was ready to submit my first ms when our daughter came along and … *fast forward 15 years* Amazing how those years fly by! But here I am…better late than never I always say… and with another decade of life experiences under my belt to enrich my writing.


What a wonderful answer. I'm so glad you were able to persue your dreams. Time does fly by doesn't it?


What is your favourite genre?
Layla: I’ve been strongly drawn to erotic romance, whether it's contemporary of paranormal/fantasy. I tried my hand at erotica, but I found that I need romance to be central to my story and have the ‘intimacy’ between my characters a sensual enhancement to their relationship. And the hopeless romantic in me needs a HEA, or at the very least, a HFN ending.
I’ve always loved the paranormal/fantasy genre as well, and I’m drawn as powerfully to this genre as I am to erotic contemporary. I'm currently trying my hand with an Erotic Fantasy and an Urban/Post Apocalyptic Fantasy. I love the freedom the 'fantasy' element adds.


Wonderful, what is the biggest surprise you’ve discovered about the writing process?
Layla: I’ve always loved writing…everything from the first spark of a story, to choosing my character’s names, picking a location and the research…LOVE the research! Transferring the mini-movies in my head to paper is an adventure and I love getting lost in their world while I’m doing so. Sometimes my characters take me to places I hadn’t expected but I don’t fight it…I follow where they lead.
What I didn’t realize was just how much work is still needed after you write ‘The End.’ Edits, edits and more edits, which I didn’t really mind because after all those edits, my story shines! The promotional end of the process truly took me by surprise. The time and energy needed to put yourself and your work out there is enormous and I have a newfound respect for those who have gone before me. The social networking aspect of the business is an exhaustive endeavour but on the bright side, I’ve met some amazing people in the process.


*Smiles* I feel the same way writing definitely isn't an easy task but well worth the effort so I agree with you there. Can you tell us about one of your current works in progress?
Layla: My current weekly free read at Secret Cravings Publishing has me working on new instalments of 'My Soul to Keep' every week.


Here is the blurb:
Special Agent Analiese Valentine – aka "Val" – lived and died for her career. Possessing a sixth sense for as long as she could remember, Val always knew she was different – and so did everyone else. So different, in fact, her own mother – apparently unable to tolerate her daughter's unusual gifts – abandoned her, forging internal scars so deep most relationships, if any, were cultivated at a safe distance. A near-tragic accident opens unexpected doors – some otherworldly – changing her life in ways she'd never imagined possible.
Dr. Maxwell "Max" Thornton, a psychologist, ironically lives an almost reclusive life except for his practice. Although his empathic abilities allow him to help his patients in ways most practitioners never could, the effort is taxing, at times debilitating. Keeping a limited and selective clientele, he manages to pursue a career and maintain his sanity, convinced normal relationships are out of the realm of his reach.
When a guarded agent and a reluctant empath cross paths, unexpected revelations occur and a delicate thread binds them to one another as a predetermined Fate begins to unfold, sending them plummeting into a war between good and evil.


In addition, I'm working on another instalment to my short erotic story, Masquerade, series. Currently, 'Masquerade: Cooking with Fire' is available for a free read at Every Night Erotica. This is the next instalment of Maggie and Gabe's journey to spice up their marriage by experimenting with sexual role playing and the like. If you want a sexy bedtime story, stop by and see what Maggie and Gabe have cooked up to reignite their sex life!




They sound like great reads. Now for a couple of fun questions:


If you had a warning label, what would it say?
Layla: One of my favorite quotes is “Well-behaved women rarely make history.” Where would we be if women such as Rosa Parks, Susan B. Anthony, Eleanor Roosevelt, Rachel Carson, Marian Anderson, Isadora Duncan, Edith Wharton, Paulette Barnes, Nellie Bly, Gloria Steinem, Janet Guthrie and Helen Gurley Brown had 'behaved' themselves?


LOL, love it! If you could choose to time travel, would you go backward or forward, and why?
Layla: I have a great fondness for the Native American culture. My choice would be to go back in time … far enough back where I could spend considerable time with these remarkable peoples in their original element. I'd love to spend time with the Navajo or Sioux. The women of the Iroquois held powerful positions in the tribe; they owned the longhouses, controlled the land and even chose a Chief. And can you imagine going back far enough to find out what really happened to the Anasazi?


It would definitely be an interesting experience indeed. I'd like to thank you Layla for joining us today. For those of you who would like to learn more about Layla and her work she can be reached on her website: www.laylahunter.com , on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Layla-Hunter/1173090819 , and on Twitter:
www.twitter.com/Layla_Hunter


A note from Layla: "I love hearing from readers and other writer's as well!"


Now here's a little more about one of Layla's latest releases "Skin Deep". Please enjoy!


Blurb:

Emily Monroe, a statuesque high school English teacher, is convinced that getting a tattoo to cover the remnants of her brush with Morphea is the only option left to open the door to self-acceptance, allowing her to finally move on with her life after the devastating diagnosis left more than physical scars in its wake.

Rick Sutton, owner of Skin Deep, a successful tattoo shop, has his own cross to bear. Crippling guilt and the specter of unrequited justice overshadow every aspect of his life, trapping him within the haunted corridors of his heart and soul; until the day Emily walks into his shop.
Instantly, he recognizes a kindred spirit in Emily, and a tenuous bond is formed. When the intimidating yet teddy-bear of a man offers her a glimpse into his passionate side, she is moved by what she sees and takes a leap of faith. Together they traverse the physical and emotional journey of freeing themselves of their perceived flaws, an erotic undertaking that proves to them beauty is only Skin Deep.


If you have a moment to watch the trailer for Skin Deep …http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Dr9IM1csQ


Adult Excerpt:


Still shaken from the overt sexual reaction to his touch as well as the sight of the breathtaking canvas of her back, she let him guide her back to the table and help her up. With legs swinging nervously over the edge, she watched anxiously as he dipped the brush into the powder, tapping it against the side of the jar before returning to stand before her.
Her feet stilled as the brush swept over her breasts again and again until she lost herself in the resultant rush of heat, responding with a soft cry before stopping herself.
"God, Em…you're driving me crazy."
"I…I could say the same." Her voice caught and made a small noise that sounded almost like a purr.
"Do you trust me, Em?"
"Yes."
He rid himself of the jar and brush. Then, placing the pillow behind her, gently urged her back against the table until she was lying down, all the while searching her gaze for any sign of dissent. Apparently confident she wanted him to proceed he sat on the stool and rolled himself into position in front of her.
Those large hands hid the gentler truth of a tender touch as he eased her legs open, sliding his palms underneath her backside and raising her towards him.
As his tongue grazed the sensitive flesh of her inner thighs, she drew in a sharp breath before releasing a deep sigh, followed by a deeper moan.
"It's been a long time Rick." You just might want to let me dust the cobwebs off first, she was tempted to suggest but remained quiet, curious.
"That's a real shame. You don't mind if I remedy that unfortunate situation," he replied playfully, lowering his head between her thighs.
About to protest, the first rush of warm breath against the silky fabric of her panties quieted any objections. Moving his mouth along the outline of her mons, he seemed in no rush, intent on exploring her fully. Following the contours of her outer lips, he gently nipped and pulled against the fabric, rousing a scintillating need within.
A soft cry escaped her lips when he nuzzled her, his nose brushing against the swollen pearl nestled in damp folds. Undulating waves of warmth and wanting rippled over her from head to toe and her hips arched instinctively as the ache for something more began to grow.
Damn, it had been so long, too long. The intimate feel of his mouth refreshed her memory, reminding her first and foremost of the passionate woman within, before revealing with stunning clarity that she was still sexy and desirable, despite her perceived flaws.
Reaching down, her fingers moved through his hair, his locks slipping over her skin, tickling as if she’d just passed them through a spider's web. When she urged him against her, he stilled, lifting his head.
"Rick…" Her voice filled with an almost desperate pleading and when he didn't respond immediately, she panicked, the old fears creeping back in to steal this moment from her.
Lifting herself on her elbows, she looked into his eyes, her gaze searching his.
"You want more, Em?" He grinned at her mischievously.
She smiled despite herself. "Yes! Tease.”



Don't forget to purchase your copy today!





Best wishes,

~Author Jennifer Labelle~

http://www.jenniferlabelle.com

7 comments:

  1. What a great interview!

    Jennifer, thank you for introducing us to Layla!

    and Layla, Skin Deep sounds good, now I have yet another book to add to my To Read list!

    Thank you both very much! Have a wonderful Holiday Season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by ladies.

    Please leave your EMAIL addresses below your comments so that Layla will know where to send the prize once she chooses her winner.

    Thanks again,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview!
    I so loved "Skin Deep". It was a unique perspective on both characters parts and I just loved the story.
    Looking forward to more of your books int he future..*S*
    I love your answer to the question to what point in time you would travel to. My DH I talk about that frequently and both of us would love to travel back in time to be part of the Native American culture, and learn more about many of them and love to live among them. It would be an awesome
    experience.
    Wish you all a great Thanksgiving holiday and wonderful week!

    Darcy
    pommawolf @hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello ladies! And thank you all for stopping by! I wanted to peek in earlier from work but my boss had other plans! Writing erotic romances is my 'secret' identity *winks*

    @Teresa ... thank you! Wishing you great Holiday season too!

    @Karenna ... thank you for stopping by!

    @Darcy ... I agree! It would be an amazing experience to say the least! And thank you for the very kind comments about Skin Deep! I'm hoping to have another story to offer SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's time to announce a winner! First, I want to thank Jennifer for having me today! She's a wonderful host!

    Okay, so from the three comments left I am off to pick a random winner ...

    And the winner is ... comment number 3 - Darcy! Congratulations! I will contact you about sending you your gift certificate!

    Wishing you all a VERY Happy Thanksgiving!

    Layla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Layla & Jennifer,

    I always love seeing you both in interviews. Nice blogg Jennifer. Layla it's nice to see you coming out with another book.
    The interview was so interesting I'm glad to find more out about you.

    I hope you both have a great Thanks giving and a very Merry Christmas. May you both be blessed to abundance.

    Teresa K.
    tcwgrlup41(at)yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete

Labelle Books has put comments on moderation due to some recent SPAM.

Please be patient and keep the comments coming. Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to check in frequently. We've got giveaways on a weekly basis and tons of great talent to share.