Book Reviews now accepted through The Book Escape E-zine. Please contact Jennifer at: thebookescapemag@gmail.com with your blurb, release date, author name, and publisher. Thank you!

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Welcome Author Kiki Howell

I'd like to Welcome Kiki Howell to "Labelle Books" today. Ever since she was young, Kiki Howell has loved to listen to a well-woven tale with real characters, inspired plots, and delightful resolutions. Kiki could spend hours lost in a book, and soon she knew that creating lives, loves, and losses with just words had to be the greatest thing that she could do. To that end, she pursued her study of literature and writing, earning a bachelor's degree in English. She then followed in a master's program in Creative Writing.


So tell us Kiki, how long have you been an author?


Kiki - Well, I have always written ever since I can remember. I took writing courses in college, but then I had my kids and didn't write for over a decade. I guess I seriously started back in 2007, and luckily got my first contract the same year.


I can see why. I've read your work, and can honestly say that I've enjoyed every single one of your stories so far. Out of curiosity what would your favorite genre be?


Kiki - Romance. I pretty much don't care what sub-genre you add under that, but I love reading about love :) Paranormal does run a close second though!


Interesting, and I'm sure most of us share your love of romance. I know that I do. Can you tell us what you found to be the biggest surprise you've discovered about the writing process so far?


Kiki - Actually, I'm a huge plotter so my biggest surprise came writing "A Questionable Hero". For this story I only knew that I wanted to try writing an angel and demon story. So, I just began writing for the fun of it, having no idea when I started it what would happen in the next chapter, and finding the ending as I went along. In fact, I was just as surprised by the ending when I wrote it as I'm sure any reader will be reading it! LOL


I love a good paranormal story, and I thought the ending to "A Questionable Hero" was great. In fact, I wanted more, but that's a good thing. Can you tell us about one of your current works in progress?


Kiki - Right now I am working out the plot on the sequel to my novel "Hidden Salem" which releases in April 2012. At this point I am more in the questioning phase, trying to figure out what the possibilities are for this second book.


I'm looking forward to it, what is in your current TBR pile?


Kiki - I am a reviewer for Suspense Magazine, and recently finished reviewing the Krewe Of Hunters series by Heather Graham. I LOVED this series! So, I just went to Borders - a final trip browsing the sales :( - and bought a few more Heather Graham books.


Can I recommend Heather Graham's "Blood Red" then? She's an amazongly talented author and I can see why you wanted to read more of her books. What advice, if any, would you give to an aspiring author?


Kiki - Stick to the story in your heart, the one that's yours to write. Many times I think, well I know I did, that we have to change our voice, be like the books already out there to get published ourselves. I read this advice when I was first writing, an editor at a house I was interested in said if you stick to the story in your heart, that it will show in the story. So I did just that. I wrote my story, turning off that internal critique that says that is too crazy or whatever. So far, it has worked for me. Sure, you get the occassional bad review *winks* but the good have outweighed the bad, and I have now had seven different publishers who have liked my work enough to publish it.


Congratulations, Kiki, but before you go let's throw in a couple of fun questions to spice it up a little.


If you had a warning label, what would it say?


Kiki - CAUTION: Highly Passionate Person Ahead With Volatile Creativity - Chick does better in fantasy land than she does the real world. When in the real world, moods can change on a dime. Approach with caution. If outburst occurs, your best chance of survival is to let her retreat into her mind whether with her computer or a book!


Ha ha ha, that's awesome, and I can certainly relate. Now just one more for the road, if you could choose to time travel, would you go backwards or forward?


Kiki - Defintiely Backward! I always said I was born in the wrong time. I would go back to Regency England in a heartbeat ;) Luckily I'm a writer, and my novel "Torn Asunder" let me do that for awhile. Although people looked a tme differently when Regency slang started creeping into my everyday conversations! LOL


Thank you for stopping by today, Kiki. "Torn Asunder" is definitely on my TBR pile. For those of you interested in learning more about Kiki, and her books she can be contacted by the links below:









Here is a little more on Kiki Howell's latest release, my personal review of "A Questionable Hero", a buy link, and a contest for a chance to win a pdf copy of Kiki's "Irreconcilable Differences".


In order to win you must be a follower of this blog, and leave your email address below your comment. Failure to do so will result in disqualification. The winner will be drawn on Saturday August 27. Thank you for stopping by!


Title: A Questionable Hero

Release date: May 2011

Author: Kiki Howell

Genre: Paranormal (Angel & Demon), Erotic Romance

Blurb:


Born of a mortal woman but raised in Hell by the demon that sired him, Abdamas is a Halfling-proof incarnate of the war between good and evil that exists in each of us. Shaebiel is an angel warrior earning her ultimate salvation in Heaven by fighting Demons like Abdamas who are in search of human souls on earth.

In the heat of a raging battle, Abdamas sees Shaebiel and wants her. When the blade of another demon aims for her, Abdamas is injured himself trying to save her. Shaebiel can't believe a demon has rescued her from certain death and takes her questionable hero home with her to heal him.

As they both fight and surrender to their desires, the conflict around them continues, and there is Heaven and Hell to pay for their actions. Through divine intervention they are offered a gift. But Hell is nowhere near finished with either of them, and the stakes are getting higher and higher.

Can a questionable hero sacrifice enough to redeem himself in the eyes of Heaven so that he may claim the love of an angel?




And, because I've enjoyed it so much I've decided to share my own personal review with you all;


Fate works in mysterious ways as Abdamas, a half demon/half human warrior saves Shaebiel's soul in the heat of a raging battle between good and evil. Shaebiel is a warrior angel put on earth to fight demons to save the human souls they seek to take possession of.

Abdamas gets hurt while saving her life and in return she brings him home to help save him of his wounds. Astonished, with her questionable hero's intent on saving her, Shaebiel's confusion soon becomes clouded by the desire that they belong together.

The conflict around them continues, and as they both surrender to their desires Abdamas is dealt with a gift of new life and the Hell he's only known thus far in life is far from finished for either of them. Sacrifices are made, pain is dealt, and desires prevail , but can this questionable hero prove himself worthy in the eyes of Heaven to claim the love of his angel?

Kiki Howell does it again in this amazingly written paranormal romance of good versus evil. Once I started reading this love story I couldn't stop until I reached the end. The romance was heartfelt, the sex was hot, and the ending will leave you wanting more. I loved it!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me here today Jennifer, and for that wonderful review *smiling*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kiki,

    It's nice to meet you. You sound like great fun and your book looks fun too. I like the premise of the bad guy/demon being redeemed by love. Well done.

    I look forward to reading it.

    Cheers,
    Kiru

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't forget to leave your email address' when leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the interview. Great questions! Nice to get to know you. Sounds like you have found your voice. Will be checking out your books for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Everyone! I appreciate you stopping by and commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the book and the blurb sound great i would love to read it i do books good and love to tell on then blogs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, love to win a copy. other than submitting e-mail for newletter, how do you become a follower?
    Thanks.
    Patricia
    panthers.ravens@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patricia,

    On the right hand side there is a box labelled "Followers" there should be a blue button you can click on that says "Join This group" or sometihng along those lines. Click on it and then it should add you.

    Thanks for participating. We'll announce the winner by the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations goes to Patricia as Kiki's winner!

    Thank you all who took the time to read her post, and left a comment. I hope you all will continue to visit the blog.

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete

Labelle Books has put comments on moderation due to some recent SPAM.

Please be patient and keep the comments coming. Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to check in frequently. We've got giveaways on a weekly basis and tons of great talent to share.